Registrar of Vital Statistics Borough of Matawan
201 Broad Street
Matawan, NJ 07747
Registrar: Grace Rainforth
(732) 566-3898 x625
Deputy Registrar: Kathleen Fitzgerald
(732) 566-3898 x625
Registrar's Regular Office Hours of Operation
9:00 am - 4:00 pm Tuesday thru Thursday
Closed for lunch between 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Closed Monday, Friday, Holidays & Weekends
Marriage license and certified copy applications are now being taken in person by appointment only.
You may request items online @ www.matawanborough.com. By mail requests take less processing time (please read information below) when submitted properly.
Marriage License Applications - By Appointment Only - Fee $28.00 - Cash (must be exact) or check made out to the Borough of Matawan.
The Registrar of Vital Statistics issues marriage licenses to unmarried couples intending to marry along with civil union licenses as well as certified copies of marriage, birth and death records that are on file in this office.
Please note that Vital Statistics information is NOT public information and is available only to certain individuals and family members.
We cannot guarantee that you will be able to obtain the record or document you request at the time of your visit or unless you have made prior arrangements at the above address and/or number.
The charge for a certified raised seal copy is $10.00 per copy
The charge for a correction to a vital record is $10.00
* NOTE: Please make sure when mailing a request form for a raised seal certified copy of a vital record to do the following:
- Fill in the form accurately and completely.
- Enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope - 2 stamps if 5 or more copies
- Enclose copies of identification with your current address - ie. drivers' license, passport, birth certificate.
You must provide acceptable ID in order to get a copy of any vital record. Copies of vital records MUST be mailed to the address listed on your identification .
The following are acceptable forms of ID:
- A current, valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address
- A current, valid driver’s license without photo and one alternate form of ID with current address
- Two alternate forms of ID, one of which must have current address.
Alternate forms of ID are:
- Vehicle registration
- Vehicle insurance card
- Voter registration
- US/Foreign Passport
- Immigrant Visa
- Permanent Resident Card (Green card)
- Federal/State ID
- County ID
- School ID
- Bank Statement (within previous 90 days)
- Utility bill (within the previous 90 days)
- Tax Return or W-2 for current/previous tax year
People who are homeless can have a social worker or the coordinator of the homeless shelter where they are temporarily residing submit a request on behalf of the homeless person. The request must be on their agency letterhead and provide the identifying information on the homeless person's vital record. The request must be accompanied by proof of employment by the agency and valid identification. The resulting copy of the vital record will be mailed to the agency.
People who are incarcerated can provide legal imprisonment, conviction papers or release documents that include the name, social security number and all possible aliases used in the past or identification from a prison/probation official.
All checks made payable to the "Borough of Matawan"
Incomplete requests will be returned
Apostille Seals and Certifications
Marriage License Application - English and Spanish (pdf)
Marriage License Application English.docx
How to Guide for Online Marriage (pdf)
Application for Certified Raised Seal Copy of Vital Record (pdf)
Applying for Marriage License Instructions (pdf)
Domestic Partnership Information (pdf)
State of NJ Department of Health
Vital Statistics Information in States Other than NJ