Registrar of Vital Statistics Borough of Matawan
201 Broad Street
Matawan, NJ 07747
Registrar: Grace Rainforth
(732) 566-3898 x625
Deputy Registrar: Kathleen Fitzgerald
(732) 566-3898 x625
You may request items online @ www.matawanborough.com. Marriage License applications are now being taken in person by appointment only. Please see the Executive Order 135 instructions below. The application will still be done by appointment only - please contact 732-566-3898 x625 to schedule.
“How to” Guide for Online Marriage/Civil Union
- If your office is still open for couples to apply, they may still come and apply in person.
- If the couple cannot come to the office or your office is closed, please set up a video conference with the couple.
- The couple may fill out the application on their end, sign, and have the witness sign while on a video call with you. They will show their id via their webcam, sign the form, and fax or scan over the application and all id’s.
- Once you immediately receive the documents on your end, you will print and verify with the couple on the video call, that you received the documents.
- Please arrange with the couple if they wish to pick up the license or have the license mailed to them. The 72-hour waiting period is waived. The license expiration has been extended to 90 days.
- The couple, 2 witnesses, and officiant must all be in New Jersey
- The couple, 2 witnesses, and officiant must all be on the same live video call.
- The officiant will be provided the license beforehand and be able to perform the ceremony via video call
- At the end of the ceremony, the officiant will view the id for each party and witnesses and proceed to sign the license indicating the place of marriage to be the location of the officiant within NJ.
- The officiant may scan or fax a copy of the license to the witnesses who will then sign the form.
- If the original document cannot be returned by mail to the registrar, a completed scanned, or faxed version of the form will be sent to the local registrar office where the officiant recorded the place of event on the form.
Receiving an Online Marriage
- Upon receipt of the online certificate, the local registrar will accept the record only if the place of marriage indicates their municipality. If the event recorded is not of that municipality, forward to the respective town.
- The registrar will print the form if sent electronically and sign in the local registrar section.
- The form will be mailed to OVSR along with all other marriages.
Registrar's Regular Office Hours of Operation
9:00 am - 4:00 pm Tuesday thru Thursday
Closed for lunch 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Closed Monday, Friday, Holidays & Weekends
Marriage License Applications - By Appointment Only - Fee $28.00
The Registrar of Vital Statistics issues marriage licenses to unmarried couples intending to marry along with civil union licenses as well as certified copies of marriage, birth and death records that are on file in this office.
Please note that Vital Statistics information is not public information and is available only to certain individuals and family members.
We cannot guarantee that you will be able to obtain the record or document you request at the time of your visit unless you have made prior arrangements at the above address and/or number.
The charge for a certified raised seal copy is $10 per copy.
The charge for a correction to a vital record is $5.00
* NOTE: Please make sure when mailing a request form for a raised seal certified copy of a vital record to do the following:
- Fill in the form accurately and completely.
- Enclose a stamped self-addressed envelope - 2 stamps if 5 or more copies
- Enclose copies of identification with your current address - ie. drivers' license, passport, birth certificate.
You must provide acceptable ID in order to get a copy of any vital record. Copies of vital records must be mailed to the address listed on your identification.
The following are acceptable forms of ID:
- A current, valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address
- A current, valid driver’s license without photo and one alternate form of ID with current address
- Two alternate forms of ID, one of which must have current address.
Alternate forms of ID are:
- Vehicle registration
- Vehicle insurance card
- Voter registration
- US/Foreign Passport
- Immigrant Visa
- Permanent Resident Card (Green card)
- Federal/State ID
- County ID
- School ID
- Bank Statement (within previous 90 days)
- Utility bill(within the previous 90 days)
- Tax Return or W-2 for current/previous tax year
People who are homeless can have a social worker or the coordinator of the homeless shelter where they are temporarily residing submit a request on behalf of the homeless person. The request must be on their agency letterhead and provide the identifying information on the homeless person's vital record. The request must be accompanied by proof of employment by the agency and valid identification. The resulting copy of the vital record will be mailed to the agency.
People who are incarcerated can provide legal imprisonment, conviction papers or release documents that include the name, social security number and all possible aliases used in the past or identification from a prison/probation official.
All checks made payable to the Borough of Matawan.
Incomplete requests will be returned.